How to Tell Authorities You Have Scrapped Your Car?

scrap cars

Have a car that’s lying around without use, either because it’s old or because it’s damaged? Selling it is your best option, and you might get some money to buy a new one. One of the best ways to get rid of your old car is to scrap it. Selling it to wreckers gives you many advantages and is also an eco-friendly decision.

But before you do that, you must go through some important steps. One of them is informing the required authorities about what you decided to do with your car. In this article, you can learn everything you need to.

Who are you supposed to inform about scrapping your car?

The authorities you need to contact are the NZTA or the Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency. This agency deals with everything related to vehicles and vehicle safety in the country. They overlook everything, starting from registering a vehicle to deregistering it. If you decide to scrap your car, you must notify the NZTA about it.

How to inform NZTA about scrapping your vehicle?

You can inform the NZTA about selling your vehicle online here. Just fill up the form, and they will take note of it. For the form, here are the things you will need when contacting the NZTA about selling or disposing of your vehicle-

  • Driver’s License: You must have your New Zealand driver’s license. In the instance that you don’t own a driver’s license for New Zealand, you have to contact NZTA separately (call them at 0800 108 809), and they will upgrade their records for you.
  • Plate number: The plate number of your car is extremely valuable information for this process.
  • Information about the buyer: If you have decided to sell your car to a scrap yard or to car wreckers, you have to give some details about the company you sold it to. This includes the name and the address of the company.
scrap cars

Related services

We have been helping the Otago, Southland, and Canterbury regions for over a decade now with recycling their unwanted vehicles.

How to deregister your vehicle from NZTA?

Before scrapping a car, it’s important to deregister it. That is if it’s not already deregistered because of being unfit to be driven on the road. Deregistering means removing the car from NZTA’s records, specifically from the Motor Vehicle Register. Without deregistering it, the car will still remain under your name, which can get you in trouble later on.

Here is how you can deregister your car

  • Complete an application to cancel registration (MR15) form. These forms are only available to registered agents. These agents include The Automobile Association (AA), Vehicle Inspection New Zealand (VINZ), and Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ).
  • You then have to pay a certain amount as the administration fee at the registration agent.
  • Hand over your car plate to the agent. Without doing this, you cannot get a refund of any unused license fees.

Got a Vehicle that you want to get rid of?

We buy unwanted and scrap vehicles and pay up to $12000 cash.
Related Posts